Far and away one of the most powerful teaching and learning tools available right now is SMART Notebook. With a SMART Advantage license, this interactive lesson tool can be used with any projector, SMART Board, or Interactive Projector/Whiteboard (like the Epson BrightLink projectors installed in many Grand Erie classrooms). Recently SMART launched SMART Notebook 15 which comes with a handful of new & impressive features.
To see a full list of the features, check out this FEATURES page from smarttech.com.
A few of my favourite features (some new, some old) include:
- SMART Response VE – the ability to use SMART Response Clickers OR use SMART Response with ANY web-enabled device. Students can use their BYOD laptops, tablets, or smartphones to answer questions via SMART Notebook/SMART Response and the teacher receives instant feedback on student understanding.
- Extreme Collaboration (XC) – using any web-enabled device, students can send text from their device to the teacher’s device (ie. to the projector, SMART Board, or interactive whiteboard). The teacher can then gather the text into a collection as next steps to any lesson.
Note: in the fall, when SMART Notebook 15.1 is released, XC will be moved into the Lesson Activity Builder and called, “Shout it out”. At that time students will be able to send both words and pictures.
- Lesson Activity Builder – an easy way to create interactive, fun, game-based lessons in about 5 minutes.
- SMART Exchange – thousands of pre-made SMART Notebook lessons built by SMART and by other educators.
- Math Functionality – SMART Notebook 15 adds lots of great Math tools that were previously only available with an additional purchase. Examples include shape division, show line lengths/vertices/angles, equation editing, SMART Blocks, and many other tools powered by GeoGebra.
If you’re a Grand Erie teacher, check your email from me on June 26, 2015 for download instructions including our SMART Advantage Activation Product Key. Note that both teachers and students in Grand Erie have take the ability to install SMART Notebook on their personal devices so feel free to share with your students in the fall. Enjoy!